VIBE Member Spotlight: Jonathon Boriss

Document created by adina.schoeneman Employee on Aug 3, 2016Last modified by adina.schoeneman Employee on Aug 3, 2016
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

VIBE interviews Jonathan Boriss, PACS Administrator, Major Hospital, Major Health Partners, Shelbyville, Indiana, U.S.

Jonathan Boriss is the PACS Administrator for Major Hospital in Shelbyville, Indiana. He is a Carestream customer and has been a VIBE user group member since February 2016. Major Hospital is running Carestream PACS v12.1.5 and preparing to move to a new state-of-the-art hospital in January of 2017. In preparation for the move to the new facility, they have also recently transitioned to a new data center.

2016-08-03 13-50-02_RSNA HCIS Planning Agenda 04 August 2016.png

VIBE: How did you become a PACS Administrator?

JB: I went to school to become a radiologic technologist, but went back to school for computer science. I got a job at Beaumont Health in Michigan, worked there for three-and-a-half years and decided it would be better for the family if I was closer, so took the job here in Shelbyville.

VIBE: How did you happen to join VIBE?

JB: Our hospital is a Carestream customer, and we recently upgraded to v12.1.5, so I went to Carestream training in Rochester, N.Y., in February of this year. While I was there I asked “Is there any sort of customer group, a place where I could get ideas, and support,” and of course they said, “Yes, absolutely—we have the VIBE online community.” I talked to my account manager, Bruce Miller, and he signed me up for it.

VIBE: I see that you‘ve used it—have you found it beneficial?

JB: Yes, it’s been good—our site is about to go live with 3D mammography so I used VIBE to find a Carestream user who has implemented 3D breast imaging technology and he emailed me outside of the VIBE group so we could continue the conversation. I also had a question about using Crystal reports, and I got an answer about that through VIBE. I like it that they do a lot of polls and care about what the customer thinks—and what future requests might be. I found it helpful that they post a lot of their documentation as well as useful news articles.

VIBE: Are any of your radiologists also members of VIBE?

JB: As far as I know, our radiologists are not currently members, but if they were to come to me with a question I couldn’t answer immediately, I might use VIBE as a sounding board to get their question addressed.

VIBE: Do your radiologists like the upgrade to 12.1.5?

JB: We did the upgrade in November, and because I came on staff at Major Hospital in December, I wasn’t here for it; but I heard it went well. Prior to that, the radiologists were on transcription. With version 12, they were set up with voice dictation through Carestream—and initially were hesitant to adopt the new voice-dictation technology. As part of the upgrade, we discovered we can utilize a lot of the data fields within Vue Reporting to assist in meeting regulatory requirements and PQRS standards. For example, instead of a radiologist having to dictate an entire mammography study, we can program a phrase into the data field in the reporting so it prepopulates with the language appropriate to that study, meeting PQRS standards. The radiologists love the fact that they can have fields that prepopulate.

VIBE: What will the next step in your PACS development be?

JB: We’re moving to a new facility in January of 2017, a $90 million project, so we’re planning the move. We’re implementing 3D mammography as well as MBI-molecular breast imaging, and will be one of a few facilities in the state to offer MBI technology. We look forward to utilizing all that Carestream has to offer and customizing it to our site. Our plans include utilizing Carestream to implement OrthoView for our orthopaedic practice. We will continue to tailor hanging protocols to meet the needs of our community and our providers.

VIBE: What do you like best about the Carestream platform?

JB: What I like the most about Carestream is how configurable it truly is. I have experience with other PACS vendors and with those you really can’t do much in terms of customization with DICOM mapping and HL-7 mapping. Carestream PACS offers flexibility you can do a lot with it because of central configuration. I can call up my PACS engineer at Carestream and ask, “Hey, can we do this?” And it turns out we can.

VIBE: How do your referring clinicians access images?

JB: We have Vue Motion, which means we have outward facing IT so you can get into our PACS from anywhere in the world; we allow orthopaedic surgeons to show patients their images right at their bedsides. The clinicians can get on Vue Motion from any location.

Questions or comments for Jonathon? Feel free to comment below.

Thanks jboriss for the chat with us

2 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes